My blog has moved!
You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, please visit:

Thursday, 17 May 2012

Ask Our Counsellor Q&A column

[The following column, written by me, appeared in the Deccan Herald Education supplement on May 17, 2012]

Dear Madam,

I am an 18-year-old and in the first year of my graduate degree in Computer Application. My second semester exams are approaching fast and I have not begun preparations for it. The subjects are tougher than the previous semester. When I sit down to study, my mind begins to wander and I cannot control it. I faced similar problems with my concentration skills last semester, but I managed to score an aggregate of 60 per cent. My parents are not satisfied with these scores. How can I better my concentration skills and should I approach an educational counsellor for help?


Dear Ahmed,

I am not sure I understand what you mean by an educational counsellor. A career counsellor will help you decide what career path is best suited for you given your temperament and abilities. An emotional counsellor will help you deal with emotions that may be coming in the way of your achieving your potential. I am not sure what an educational counsellor would do.

I feel a bit concerned when you say that your mind is not in your control. Are you looking for ways to justify why you are not studying by stating the problem as one that is external and is in someone else’s control? Or does it genuinely feel like there are voices in your mind that keep controlling your thoughts and actions.

I think you would benefit by seeing a counsellor, face-to-face, or using some of the free telephone helplines that are available for youth and adolescents, to help you understand what you are facing and help you identify the path forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment